Friday, July 5, 2013

True Transformations


I'm back from a needed break......full of new ideas though.  DANGEROUS, I KNOW!

I surf the blogs a lot looking for inspiration.  I'd probably get more done if I quit surfing and started sewing.  I think I own every upcycle sewing book known to man.  I've come across several "dress a day" blogs, one has a book out now, and another made a television appearance.....and I definitely want to say kudos to them.  Great job!  Some of the photos are really neat, taking a hideous dress from the thriftstore and making it into something really cute.  But come on.....some of the photos are of a long dress and they simply make it short. Or it was long sleeve and they simple roll up the sleeves.  Some of them even show the shirt plain and the after photo just shows it unbuttoned with a tanktop and a belt.  COME ON!  That isn't exactly false advertising, but if it is not a TOTAL transformation, then it doesn't seem as exciting to me.

ANNOUNCING MY LATEST PROJECT, CALL ME CRAZY!

I am thinking of starting a separate leg of this blog with some sort of challenge but I haven't decided all the details yet.  I'll work it out as I go.  Part of the problem with these "x a day" challenges, is that people just can't keep up and still give really exciting output.  I mean, who could really sew a dress a day?  So of course it means just chopping it off short and just throwing on a belt on half the time.  Or some tiny girl wearing the sleeve as a tube dress.....not at my age.  I want to see a total transformation.

TO KILL SEVERAL BIRDS WITH ONE STONE, I'll deal with my 
1. EXCESSIVE THRIFT SHOPPING OBSESSION 
2. HOARDING OF FABRIC and PROJECTS 
3. WEARING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER
4. NEED TO BE ABLE TO SHOW THE HUBBY THAT I DO USE WHAT I BUY
5. NEED TO BE CREATIVE AND GET BACK TO SEWING DAILY

I think I am going to try a once a week outfit transformation.  Once a week is more realistic for what I plan to do.  Who knows maybe more often, but my goal will be weekly.  These will be plain-jane items, pulled together and rethought for a one of a kind look...lots of embellishing.  I am thinking that this look will not be for everyone but I will absolutely welcome comments.  Or maybe an ugly item that is great fabric.  I have noticed that most upcycling sites and books that I've seen, go with an artsy-fartsy, retro,  goth, or avante garde look.....not my plan. I may not be every girl, but I want to try something that may get looks at the office but not "strange" looks....."interested" looks.  I am going for normal, not dowdy, not too flashy, not weird.....just normal but fashionable.

COST IS NO LONGER A CONCERN.  IT WAS ALREADY DEALT WITH.

Another common element in these blogs is the cost of the items....only spending one dollar on the outfit, etc.  That will definitely not play into my blog.  They will be thrift-store items but I will not be concerned about cost....of the item or of what I choose to do with it.  You'll see, this is going to be awesome!  The reason I am not concerned about cost is I want to showcase various sewing ideas, accessorizing ideas, up-cycling ideas....I want to be creative, not cheap.  Even though I am cheap by nature, I want to show off, not be limited.  Heck, I already saved by buying it thrift, why not go for it on the up-cycle.  Besides, I can't focus on cost because most of this I've bought over time and have been hoarding away....I've already removed the tags.  Just trust me, it was dirt cheap.  My plan is to work through my stash, buying as little as possible.

ITS ALL ABOUT ME

The final "rule" for this little challenge is that it has to be an adult transformation.  This whole upcycle thing interests me because it is what my blog is all about.  I upcycle all the time for the home and for the kids.  Every post has been about transforming some thriftstore item for the home or kids.  This challenge interests me because it is about me.  I typically don't sew my own clothes.  I might alter them by sizing a large dress down  or popping a few darts in to take in a waist but that is usually the extent of it.  I've always had great intentions....at one point I owned over 100 blazers, many of which I had full intention of "re-doing" as something better.  I've pared it down a little.....I won't even get into that.  Let's just say, this is my chance to  make it happen.

Without giving all the gory details of my little thrift shopping addiction, I'll just share some photos of what I am dealing with.......

This is what I have resorted to for my closet.  5 moving boxes made into an island and  used as a closet system in my loft.  Sad I know, but it is my problem, not yours, so just watch it like a train-wreck.






And yes each box is jam packed and the bottoms of each is jam packed too with winter clothes or "idea" clothes.







The bottom of this one is full of christmas sweaters to upcycle.


Winter sweaters and pants.




And yes that is close to 80 wearable skirts that I have stacked there on top and around 50 pairs of pants (lots too long but never altered).






Then I have a rack that holds all my "winter blazers" and coats.  Ones you'd pass out in if you attempted to wear in the fall or spring.


And all the pretty scarves that I never wear because I am in too big a hurry.  This whole adventure will hopefully help me put some thought into my outfits.




And the "dumping ground" where the husband puts newly washed items since he has no clue how to cram any more in.    Those are his board games that you see everywhere so he has no room to complain....JUST SAYING.




And then there are the purses I keep downstairs in the bedroom closet, yeah then one that is too small for all my clothes.


 More purses.....and my summer shoes.  Yeah the winter ones are hidden somewhere back up in the loft.  And those buckets are decorator fabrics that I've stored away since I am pretty much down with the home decor for a while.  I know I still owe some posts on that....but lets focus here.



 And then there is all the costume jewelry that I have plans to "revamp" with new charms, etc.




And that was just the closet!


Those items in my "closet" represent items that I could actually wear as is if I had to......then we move to the sewing room, when I have my "idea" clothes.  These are items that I might could wear, but I really bought them for the fabric or with full intention of altering.  Either not my style or just had a better idea for it.  It is really ridiculous, I used to try to "organize" so I could see what I have, but recently, I just shoved it all into one box.  And I still have a few miscellaneous buckets laying around full of more.





OKAY, OKAY, I know I have a problem.  Lots of buying because I have an idea for it and little actual wearing of these items.  AT LEAST I OWN THAT I HAVE A PROBLEM.  Well here goes nothing....


I'll post a before picture, wearing it if it is currently wearable for me or showing it if it is enormous or bought for fabric only.  When I am home, I am usually in gym clothes, so you'll be seeing a lot of before photos with the item over gym clothes.  Sorry but it is just too much trouble to undress to don an item that I don't plan to wear as is anyway.  I'll make the effort for the after shot.  Heck, I'll take the after shot on the day I am actually going to wear it to work.

I am finally back on here.....and have big plans.....root me on!  Now to go clean up the sewing room so I can actually sew in it. :)  I'll have the weekend to work on my first outfit. TA TA!




No comments:

Post a Comment